Wednesday, February 13, 2008

How Crazy People Spend Valentine's Day



To anyone still under the delusion that I am a laid back person, I submit my cookies. It all started innocently enough: I saw a Woman's Day magazine in my sister-in-law's bathroom, borrowed it, and thus began the odyssey that would require borrowing a friend's cookie cutter, two trips to Harris Teeter (one for powdered egg whites, another for 10-inch skewers), one trip to Hobby Lobby for red paste food coloring, one evening making dough, one night for chilling it, one afternoon for rolling/cutting/ baking, followed finally by several hours mixing icing/tinting icing/putting icing in four separate pastry bags/thinning remaining icing/frosting cookies/waiting two hours for icing to dry/piping reserved icing. All this, mind you, while my 7 year old kept getting in the middle of everything, being helpful, and my not-quite-four year old kept bumping into me to watch what I was doing. Patient and determined? Yes, when it comes to this sort of thing and I'm in project mode. Laid back? Yeah, in a perfectionistic Martha Stewart kind of laid back way.
My hands, along with my patience for J. tottering on a stool at my elbow, finally gave out and I left the remaining cookies for CA and CR to finish. After all, they are for their teachers. Now, to supervise the addressing of three classes' worth of Hot Wheels, Justice League, Star Wars, and Barbie valentines before bed. . .Happy Valentine's Day to all!

No comments: